Sunday, October 07, 2007

Torah U'Madda Comment from a Correspondent

Rabbi Bechhofer,




When talking about Shoftim 7:25, you quote Rav Tzadok who says the
raven is a harbinger of bad news. I know this idea exists in goyish
culture in general, but there is a particular secular reference that
immediately came to mind. I thought I would share it with you.




In J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy, King Theoden of
Rohan calls Gandalf "Stormcrow" while under the spell of Grima
Wormtongue.



You have ever been a herald of woe. Troubles follow you like
crows, and ever the oftener the worse . . . . Here you come again!
And with you come evils worse than before, as might be expected. Why
should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow? Tell me that.


The Two Towers: "The King of the Golden Hall", p. 117.



Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment: